There is a saying “It is always good to start early.”
Prepare for college early
The same is true for preparing for the college application process while you are in ninth grade. There is one school of thought that the ninth grade is too early to begin the application process for high school. High school freshmen neither have to start composing the application essays nor do they have to start composing the list of universities or colleges for which they want to apply for. The notion is that the college application of high school freshmen will certainly have the edge over others because of the selection that they make during their ninth grade year.
Know the academic requirements for college applications
• Lots of colleges have some courses requirements that need to be fulfilled. The grade point average (GPA), SAT or ACT score requirement are also not mandatory. The colleges are actually keen on finding out if the candidate has the pre-requisite courses completed before the candidate joins their college. These are named as the academic entrance requirements. The examples of these college academic requirements vary from school to school. These can also be different for technical college and liberals Arts College. Similarly the requirements differ for a college and university.
• Apart from the course entrance requirement there is also a requirement for the minimum number of credits required for a selected subject/field of study. There can also be a requirement of certain point of particular degree of expertise to be reached by high school students, which will be measured for college admission.
• There also is a good emphasis on extra –curricular activities taken by freshmen. Joining these activities increases the chances of being a member of clubs throughout their school career. This also portrays the zeal, dedication and desire of being the active member of the community. Freshmen need to start early and that will be during their significant ninth grade year.
• There can also be some very college specific requirement which need to be addressed as well.
• Selecting the highest level of math, science and foreign languages available as freshmen allows students to spend more time on electives and internships during their junior and senior years.
• One point that stands out is that freshmen need to start the process during their ninth grade itself. This will make sure that their application has that extra spark which will distinguish them from other applications.