Online teacher certification programs are a recent development that is increasingly becoming a viable way of attaining the necessary training and credentials to teach in public schools.
This is an area that is changing and evolving rapidly, but its growth suggests that these programs are here to stay.
The specific requirements for teacher certification differ from state to state.
Generally speaking, public schools require that you earn at least a bachelor’s degree and do a period of student teaching. Because of the student teaching requirements, you will not be able to get your teacher certification exclusively online. However, much of the class work can be completed online through different programs.
Number of advantages to taking online teacher certification classes.
1) The most obvious advantage is that online classes have much more flexibility than traditional university classes. You can usually schedule your classes more easily around your career and family responsibilities, which makes online teacher credential programs very appealing to older people.
2) This flexibility also extends to the time you take to complete a program. If you need more or less time than it typically takes to complete the equivalent of a college degree, you may have more flexibility if you go the online route.
3) Online classes are also remote, therefore you can take your classes regardless of where you’re at. This is great if you like to travel. It is also great if you prefer to live away from population centers, which is where colleges traditionally are located.
4) Cost is also important to consider. It is no secret that the cost of higher education has increased much more rapidly than inflation. Online courses, in part because they don’t have to spend as much money on infrastructure as traditional colleges, can oftentimes be significantly cheaper.
5) Finally, there is a consideration that a lot of people do not think of when they consider taking an online course. One of the hardest things to develop is self-motivation. A lot of people require an authority figure above them in order to motivate them to complete the tasks they need to complete. When you take an online course, you need much more self-motivation to complete it.
In an online course, there are no teachers and other students or physically present to pressure you to complete your work and participate in discussions. You have much more responsibility when it comes to managing your time and resources effectively and efficiently than you would in a traditional class. Developing those skills can be very useful when you actually become a teacher.
While there are advantages to completing an online course, there also possible disadvantages as well.
Online certification programs are new, therefore they have not developed as high of a reputation as a lot of universities have. When you go and apply for a teaching job after completing the program, an online program may not look as impressive on your resume as going through a prominent college would.
There are a lot of traps out there in this relatively new industry. Becoming certified can be a somewhat complicated process, therefore it is important that you do your research before enrolling in any teacher certification program. There are definitely online teacher certification programs that are legitimate and will give you the certification that you desire. That said, there are scams out there and you need to watch out for them so that you do not waste time and money.
Where to find online teacher certification programs.
Online teacher credential programs are growing in number and popularity. They are increasingly becoming an alternative means to become a certified teacher that makes sense for a lot of aspiring educators. If you are looking to get certified and are a little put off by some of the traditional certification pathways, then look into online teacher certification and see if a program makes sense for you.
For-Profit Certification for Teachers Is Booming
The Best Online Alternative Teacher Certification Programs
The Top 25 Online Teacher Education Programs
National Online Teacher Certification Program Announced