What is International Baccalaureate Diploma Program?
International Baccalaureate Diploma Program was established in 1968 by the International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva, Switzerland with the goal of delivering international academic standards in most of the local schools.
IBO academic philosophy is summed up in the following words of its mission statement:
“Through comprehensive and balanced curriculum, coupled with challenging assessments, the International Baccalaureate Organization aims to assist schools in their endeavors to develop the individual talents of young people and teach them to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside. Beyond intellectual rigor and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship, to the end that IB students may become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners and informed participants in local and world affairs, conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people together, while respecting the variety of cultures and attitudes that makes for the richness of life.”
International Baccalaureate Diploma Program is an academically challenging and comprehensive pre-university course which demands the best in its entirety from teachers as well as students who are motivationally driven. It consists of a highly sophisticated two years program that covers a variety of academic subjects like English Language, Foreign Language, History, Science, IB Elective/The Arts and Mathematics and Computer Science.
International Baccalaureate Diploma Program has stood the test of time as it is presently being enjoyed by more 500,000 students in over 139 countries. Outside the pre-university courses offered, this great organization also has another program called the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (IB PYP). This program boasts of international curriculum and a unique pattern of teaching in compliance with the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
This program is one designed for learners in the primary grades and it is aimed at developing the child as a whole, imbibing positive mindsets in them. Issues of physical, emotional, academic, social and cultural demands are also addressed. In all, the (IB PYP) is aimed at producing well balanced citizens and individuals.
The level and quality of training being offered in International Baccalaureate Diploma Program cannot be over emphasized. It is widely recognized for its high level of academic standards. Assessment of the students of this great institution spreads over two years of activities and is varied. Final examination on each subject is a must in assessment. International Baccalaureate Diploma Program has an international board of examiners who are thoroughly trained and carefully monitored by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), their main job is to assess the students’ work.
What are the benefits of being a graduate of International Baccalaureate Diploma Program?
The benefits of being graduates of this institute are but not limited to the following:
• Acceptance Rates: Graduates of International Baccalaureate Diploma Program have a higher university and college acceptance rates than other applicants.
• Increased Opportunities: Graduates have increased opportunities of being granted scholarships and grant opportunities.
• Interdisciplinary Teaching: This method of instruction develops the students into international-minded individuals.
• Unlimited Knowledge: Being a graduate of this institution means cultivation of lifelong learning.
• Teacher Development: Unlike other schools where teacher evaluation has always been an issue, International Baccalaureate Organization develops its teachers to meet up the demands of the students using IB strategies.
• Risk Takers: The students are trained not to be afraid of approaching unfamiliar situations and uncertainties. They are taught to be independent-spirited, be able to explore new strategies, ideas and roles, to be expressive and able to defend their beliefs.
• Knowledgeable: The institution trains its students to be able to explore concepts and issues that have both local and global significance which will in turn, help them to acquire in-depth knowledge and understanding of various disciplines.
• Liberal Minded: The graduates of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program understand and appreciate their own personal histories, are open to the perception, values and traditions of other people. They confidently seek and evaluate a variety of perceptions and tend to grow from the experience gained therein.
• Highly Principled: Graduates of International Baccalaureate Diploma Program grow up to be principled individuals who act with integrity and honesty, coupled with an astonishing sense of fairness and respect for other individuals, groups and even communities.
• Ingenuity: Its graduates are known to be creative and imaginative in dealing with everyday problems and dilemmas.
• Understanding: Graduates of International Baccalaureate Diploma Program are trained to project themselves into another person’s situation in order to understand that particular person’s reasoning and emotions over a given condition.
• Self-Assurance: Graduates pride themselves with being confident in their respective abilities as learners, and do not shy away from taking risks where necessary and at the same time, applying whatever they learn from the risk taken and applying them to their everyday life.
Resistance in US
These and many others are the benefits being enjoyed by other countries while the United States of America is still resisting the program to a large extent. With the aforementioned benefits of the program, I think it is time for us to learn from our neighbors and embrace International Baccalaureate Diploma Program for a better tomorrow.
What is the International Baccalaureate Program?
International Baccalaureate Program Meets Montessori Education
Pros and Cons of International Baccalaureate Program
Measuring IB Program Benefits for US Schools