At some point, most teachers will ask themselves how they should go about motivating students. Teachers have a significant impact on a student’s motivation levels.
The average student comes into class with a certain amount of motivation. However, a teacher’s behavior, teaching style and informal interactions may increase or decrease a student’s desire to learn.
Experts have classed motivation into two categories. These are intrinsic and extrinsic. An intrinsic student is motivated by love of a subject. On the other hand, extrinsic students want to achieve a specific result or outcome.
Researchers have found that certain actions encourage both types of motivation. Some of these are listed below.
– Give positive feedback as it supports a student’s belief that they can do well academically.
– Assign tasks that are neither too easy or too hard. This ensures that students will be successful if they do the required amount of work.
– Help students find value in the material.
– Create a positive and open atmosphere. Those who are successful at this will find that their students are more willing to ask questions.
Teachers are a very important part of a person’s life. Most adults will look back to their childhood and think of a teacher who inspired and/or motivated them. In fact, all teachers should consider themselves to be role models.
Some students are more likely to consider teachers “role models” than others. For example, studies have shown female students are more inclined to consider teachers to be a positive influence than males.
Due to gender, age and personality differences, teachers will not be able to connect with every student. For this reason, teachers should invite a wide variety of guest speakers into their classrooms. These speakers will show students that becoming successful is achievable.
Motivating students can also be done by speaking to students in a certain way. Listed below are a few ways that teachers can phrase instructions in a positive manner.
– Which question do you want to start with?
– Why don’t we try this as it is the easiest question.
– Praise such as “good job”.
– Encouragement such as “you’re close”, “you can do it” and “we’re almost there”.
By making small changes, teachers can ensure that their students achieve results. This will take them further in their education and career. Not to mention, most people will understand and appreciate the role a teacher has in motivating students.