A learner’s thoughts frequently meander to different areas and things while they are in the classroom. They will daydream about activities happening later in the day when they are not in school.
It is the responsibility of the educator to bring such learners back into the classroom lesson and get them engaged as well.
Reason to stay in school
Recent studies have shown that high school dropouts are five times as expected to be without a job as compared to those who have concluded four or more years of university. Also, graduating from a high school or college will decide how well and sound an individual is going to live for the next forty or fifty years of his/her life.
It is very clear that high school graduates earn more compared to dropouts. Dropouts are more likely to apply for and receive public assistance than high school graduates and due to the lack of job and education, these individuals tend to get involved in bad situations and some may become criminals. Studies show that more than 80% of prisoners in America are dropouts from high school. Generally all schools across the globe have different programs for learner’s who have not performed well in the usual school assessments.
Different ways to keep the student motivated
- The family and school must show love and tolerance to the child. Especially parents, should require making school a top priority. Showing love, tolerance and patience sets the stage for the child and how a learner will grasp and retain information. Initial support and spoken/verbal encouragement are vital elements in inspiring and motivating the child so that he/she builds interests and talent to utilize in their life.
- Parents should provide the child with set boundaries. Parents should be aware of the child’s friends and the activities which he/she engages in and should also try to help and guide them to make better choices and decisions about their lives.
- Teachers and parents are the role models and the child tries to copy them. Teachers should show a constant interest in the student’s education and should motivate them to develop appropriate study and organizational skills as well.
- Always try to teach the student responsibility. Provide them with the areas of achievable goals and coach them to accomplish the job they have set out to do and finally reward the completed task and motivate them.
- Reward finished tasks and encourage continual development as well.
photo by anissat
Originally posted 2009-10-28 09:31:07.