Reading online is like reading and comprehending a new language!
Reading in general is critical to success.
It comes as no surprise that most students do not like to read but the most powerful thing you can do to get ahead in your academic life is to improve your reading comprehension. There is no doubt that students who read more outperform those who don’t. Well read students also perform better on tests than their counterparts who read less.
It’s all about reading comprehension.
Reading can be challenging, particularly when the material is unfamiliar or complex. The average reading comprehension rate of an individual is 75% and below 50% reading comprehension is considered failure. Reading comprehension has always been the goal of reading instruction. Reading comprehension is a skill that has to be developed.
Online reading gains popularity.
Today online reading comprehension is becoming very popular and that is because of its benefits and advantages to the learner. You can access the lessons from anywhere and at any time. There is a lot of reading comprehension material plans easily available on the Internet today. It provides a variety of options. Many of these learning materials can be used to suit the needs of a student, with just very little effort.
Benefits of online reading comprehension.
- Different types of plans and material available and easily accessible, for all reading levels, grade one through twelve.
- It is available to everyone who wants to improve their reading skills.
- In case of problems there are resources available to help you at anytime.
Basic ways to increase reading comprehension.
It’s common to hear people say their reading speed is not good enough or they can’t read fast, etc. It is important to understand that reading comprehension has multiple facets or constructs. But there are basic techniques and strategies to improve and increase online reading comprehension skills.
- Pay attention to headings, pictures and graphs as they are very helpful in understanding the content in a very easy way.
- Acquire the habit of noting ideas which you find are important for the topic to develop comprehension.
- Always use a dictionary to increase your vocabulary to comprehend your content.
- Keep a watch on your concentration while reading a text, by doing this you will know whether you are gaining or loosing interest in what you are reading.
- Your eye movements, memorizing and vocalization are very important qualities to develop your reading skill.
- Know what you are reading because it also plays a vital role in developing your reading comprehension process.
- After going through the content, never forget to review and summarize the topic.
Originally posted 2009-07-03 14:08:27.