Life in high school consists of taking examinations. The worst time to take exams is when you are not prepared for it. Here are a few basic but important strategies to develop your test taking abilities.
Before The Test
1) The student should start preparing for the exam from the first day of his or her class. This can be done by reading the syllabus carefully and finding out the date of the exams, how many exams and how much they count toward your grade.
2) During your regular weekly study schedule, plan out the reviews regularly rather than planning at exam time.
3) Review not just includes reading and rereading each assignment. It requires reading the lecture notes and asking questions to yourself on the material you do not know properly. When the notes are complete and properly organized then a slight rereading is required on the material you do not know well. The student can also have a study group to strengthen the learning.
4) Do the reviewing for various short periods instead of one long period. This will help the student to retain information for a longer time and get less exhausted. Twist each question in every way to see if you are able to answer it correctly and quickly. Try guessing questions that can be given in the exam and then try finding the answers.
5) Though it is an old trend now, but using flashcards is helpful in reviewing the courses that has unfamiliar terms.
During The Test
A few things to remember while taking the test.
1) Read the directions carefully. You can lose points if you don’t.
2) Remember previewing the test to check the time each section will take and how much time you will require to assign every section. If it is multiple choice questions you will know it instantly.
3) Try answering the easiest part first. In case you are good at essay questions than answer those first. Speed up your time as it will give you more time to do the difficult parts.
4) Check if there is a negative marking then do not answer the questions you are not sure about.
5) Try making an outline in the margin when answering essay type questions. Clear thinking, neatness, good writing and organization is important in such answers.
6) At the end of the exam, try to review the test and save time for it.
Good luck and remember to stay focused and to always try your best!