Communication plays a pivotal role in our lives. Be it professional or personal. You need to express in the best way. You cannot underestimate the skill of writing.
There is no better time to start focusing on writing than during school. There is no shortcut to raise high school student’s writing achievement in the classroom. It cannot be done only by daily oral language, journal writing or exploring writing genres. It cannot be done just by writing across the curriculum or by teaching rubrics or doing group editing tasks.
High school writing challenges
A high school student faces challenges in writing like not being able to explore the beauty and precision of language. Sometimes they are not able to acquire the skills of reading and writing and the increasingly effective and complex pattern of sentences. Some students are not able to develop the skills to generate a rich and more diverse sentence which compels them to think that they have a low level of supporting detail and evidence.
What teachers should do
- Students require a systematic curriculum which will develop the fluency of the sentence and at the same time also develop the descriptive power which will initiate the interest in word choice as well as clarity in expression.
- Students should be given the sequence of writing activities which takes them to a higher language choice and sentence construction activity levels.
- If there is a breakthrough in writing achievement, teachers should transform the awareness of students to language possibilities. Also provide them the help in moving beyond self-limits and make them enter the level of language patterns.
- The best way to achieve these breakthroughs is writing programs which are not only lively but also easy to teach. It should also include cumulative, systematic skill development.
- It should also include high and short interest assignments which are designed for quick turnaround and frequent closure.
- Programs where students can make their best effort and master the technique and easily see their sentence construction activity growing, should also be included.
- Once a high school student masters these skills, they can start applying effectively to essay writing and composition assignments which is the major part of the high school curriculum.
- Teachers should lead the students via a seamless series of concrete, and teaching easy lessons which guides to sentence construction proficiency.
- The students should be mastered in applying abstract and concrete nouns, applying powerful appositives and verb tense mastery, verbs and applying verbs, prepositional phrases and agreement issues.