Huge number of kids in the U.S. and the other parts of the world are growing up in homes with gay parents. According to the latest study and data collected, California has more gay couples with a family than any other states. Such families you will find in every county in California.
Such families come in arrangements which include all races, ethnic groups, communities, socioeconomic status. But kids from such families have the right to go to schools which are safe for them and free of any form of annoyance or bias. Students and the families should be welcomed by the school as they welcome and include other families, and should provide a protected environment for such families.
Some schools are not secure and welcoming for gay families and in such schools students report hearing anti gay slurs at school and complained of an insecure surroundings. And to avoid such situations schools should combat unfairness and bias based on sexual orientation and gender because gay families also have the right to be accepted and participate on an equivalent basis with all parents in the school community.
- Schools should modernize and update all of their forms, papers and documents and should include the words “Parent or Guardian” instead of “Mother” or “Father”.
- School should also examine its guidelines and policies to make sure that they are all inclusive of LGBT parents.
- School should discuss with teachers and other staff to include gay families in school and maintain use of activities and program that includes all types of families.
- Always accept and embrace gay parents in all school actions like PTA, volunteer opportunities, and all such activities that welcome the involvement of families of students.
- Schools should try to establish and maintain a safe and protected school environment that is free from slurs, harassment, inequity and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender distinctiveness.
- Schools can create an anti-harassment rule that openly incorporates sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Schools may also prepare teachers and staff to react to harassment and to utilize program with information about gender identity.
- School can show support by displaying posters that include diverse families.
- Schools can also update the family tree project and can include the LGBT families in their curriculum.
Gay families should stand up for their rights as a part of the school society and should be positive about making the school atmosphere safe for their kids and themselves. They should form a forum for such families where they can chalk out the problems faced by them and find the solutions to those problems.
Gay and lesbian parents and relationship to elementary school
Elementary Students With Same-Sex Parents Not Part Of Family Curriculum