Education is important for everyone. Be it boys or girls. However, it has been observed that girls’ involvement in the classroom has been less when compared to boys. There can be various reasons why this occurs. However, it’s our duty to find out why it happens.
There has been some research on girls being less involved in the classroom. For instance a study was conducted by the American Association of University Women (AAUW) about the computer knowledge of girls which concluded:
- The number of girls interested in technology courses continues to be less than boys. For instance boys tend to go for new and advanced computer science and graphics courses.
- Girls get to use computers less outside the school premises. Whereas, boys come to the classroom with experience in computers and other technology.
- Girls feel that they are less knowledgeable than boys in their computer ability. This shows how they lack self-confidence. Boys have a better positive attitude about computers.
The area of computers and technology is just one example. However, this also happens with the majority of subjects whether it is math, science, or sports. What we are concerned with is how to improve programs that can make girls confident enough to go for more advanced studies and show their involvement in the classroom.
Few ways to increase the involvement of girls in the classroom
- First understand why a girl has a negative attitude towards education or involvement in class. Maybe they are bullied by boys or too shy to ask for help. For this, offer a few extra sessions for girls only so that they are able to discuss their problems.
- Competitions are a very good and healthy way to get girls involved in class activities. First organize an exclusive competition for girls and then slowly take it further to compete with boys. It will build their confidence and they will be able to interact without concern.
- Sports activities and martial arts training for girls are a great option. Some girls think they are not as physically strong as boys and they get nervous about competing with them. These activities can make them confident and strong.
- Teachers should avoid gender based studies, so that girls can participate in all kinds of activities.
- Make girls understand that they do not have limited career options. In fact, they should be made aware of the fact that girls can have all the career options that boys enjoy.
Originally posted 2009-10-08 19:49:14.