There are a few efficient ways to improve the writing of k-12 students. To teach writing is the job of all teachers in addition to the English department. Writing is an important technique to learn. To improve writing skills is the responsibility of all faculty.
Below are certain ideas, strategies and recommendations given to improve student writing and they are as follows:
- Teachers should stress to students the importance of thoughtful and clear writing. Faculty that demands that students be rewarded for clear writing and penalized for poor writing get better results than those who do not have such demands. On the first day and in the syllabus all through the term, keep reminding students that they should put forth their best effort to express themselves on paper. Teachers can back up their statements by giving comments on early assignments that will make students respond. This will allow students to know that the teacher values their good writing.
- Ask students to write for a few minutes while in class. This will change the speed of a lesson. In your class, frequently assign small writing exercises. Outside writing assignments, in-class writing and exams that have open-ended questions will make students practice what is required to improve their writing abilities.
- Keep guiding students all through the writing process. Once you have assigned the work, try to discuss the value of notes and outlines. Explain to them the way to select and how to narrow a topic and then analyze the initial draft. Do not forget to define plagiarism.
- The teacher should not read and grade all parts of the writing assignment. During the class, teachers can ask students to analyze the work of each other and later tell them to critique the work in a small group. This will help the students to think more evidently, not just to get a grade.
- The teachers should look for other faculty that are willing to use writing efficiently in their courses. The teachers can cover more subject matter and writing by pooling their ideas. Just check if there is enough interest in your discipline to draw up guidelines. Students love aids that provide particular instructions on writing papers for a specific course or in specific subject area.
A few articles that provide information about an exciting, new and different way to incorporate writing into the curriculum. Kids love blogging.
Writing Activities in Blogging
Blogging a good way to practice writing skills
Blogging Encourages Students To Write
Originally posted 2009-11-02 08:49:13.